Skip to main content

New Zealand SI (Part 2): Lake Tekapo, Lake Pukaki, Mount Cook

After the hot air balloon, we're going to leave Canterbury and continued our journey to Lake Tekapo (according to Google maps 2.5 hours drive). However, the time required to reach a destination in NZ usually took longer than what was stated in Google maps as there're many scenic lookout points to stop and take pictures along the way.

Along the way to Lake Tekapo
Panorama view of Lake Tekapo
Panoramic View from Mount John 


We decided to drive up to Mount John to have a panoramic view of Lake Tekapo and Lake Alexandrina first before checking in to our holiday home. It took us about 30mins to drive from Lake Tekapo to the summit of Mount John. Note that there's a $5 fee for road access payable at the base of Mount John and the road up Mount John closes at 6pm. Hence, if you are planning to drive up Mount John to see stars in the night skies, you will have to sign up for the star gazing tour by Earth and Sky.

View from Mount John

Observatory on Mount John
Astro Cafe is located on Mount John. It's great sipping a cup of coffee or hot chocolate while admiring the great views. Don't pin high hopes on the food. They serve decent sandwiches and cakes, but that's about it.

Astro Cafe

Hot chocolate - Astro Cafe


We then drove down Mount John and went back to Lake Tekapo. Lupins started growing along Lake Tekapo.



Beautiful turquoise color of Lake Tekapo 

Playing waters of Lake Tekapo. The water was so cold!
We checked in to our holiday home at Lake Tekapo Holiday Homes office.


Our cosy holiday home ensuite with fully equipped kitchen
Home cooked steak in our Holiday Home!
At night, we tried capturing some stars in the clear skies.



The next day, we drove along Lake Pukaki. Lake Pukaki was around 30 minutes drive from Lake Tekapo. The turquoise color of Lake Pukaki was more beautiful and stunning than Lake Tekapo! I super love Lake Pukaki!







We walked down to the lakeside of Lake Pukaki and took a close up view of the turquoise waters!



While driving along Lake Pukaki, we stopped by Lake Pukaki Visitor Centre. There's a Mount Cook Alpine Salmon shop here.


And so, we bought some salmon sashimi and ate by Lake Pukaki, admire the beautiful turquoise waters. The sashimi was so fresh and yummy!


After driving past Lake Pukaki, another 30 minutes drive brought us to Mount Cook area. We did 2 walks here. The Blue Lake and Tasman Glacier View walk and the Hooker Valley Track. You can find more walks in the Aoraki Mount Cook village walking tracks website.

Blue Lake and Tasman Glacier View walk
Time required: 45 minutes return
Difficulty: Easy with steps to climb
Height gain: 100m
Start point: Blue lake carpark (Along the road to Mount Cook village, there's a sign "Tasman", turn into the road and drive for another 5 mins to reach the carpark)

Blue Lake Carpark

Starting of the walk
After about 10 mins of walking. We've reached the blue lake. Errr... we were quite disappointed with the blue lake because it was not blue at all. There's a sign explaining why the blue lake was not blue anymore. Due to global warming, the Tasman Glacier has retreated so much that the glacier water could not reach the Blue Lake anymore. Hence, the blue lake is now being fed by rainwater instead of glacier water. That's sad :(
Blue Lake that's not blue
Continuing the walk, there're lots of stairs to climb. Endure and you will be rewarded with the beautiful view of Tasman Glacier Lake.


Tasman Glacier has retreated so much that it's no longer visible from here. All we could see is only the Glacier Lake with some ice bergs in the lake. Nonetheless, the view is still pretty.





Hooker Valley Track
Time required: 3 hours return from carpark
Difficulty: Easy, mostly flat grounds with some slopes
Height gain: 80m over 5km
Start point: White Horse Hill campground and car park (drive past Mount Cook village and continue on the road to the carpark)

Starting point of Hooker Valley Track
The weather started to turn cloudy and rained as we began our Hooker Valley Track :( This made our journey difficult. It was cold at 6 degrees, and we had to endure the rain hitting on us and the super strong winds that blew throughout the 3 hours track. It's important to have waterproof and windproof jacket with hoodie. I think we would have gave up this track if we're not prepared with the jacket.

There were 3 bridges to cross for the track, it seems like one bridge marked one quarter of track completed. The views were great! Imagine walking in the mountains! The end point of Hooker Valley Track is the view of the Hooker Glacier and the glacier lake. We were a bit disappointed with the glacier lake though, as the icebergs on the glacier lake were quite dirty.

Grey skies :( Could not get a clear picture of the skyline and the mountains

The first bridge

The second bridge

Half way through Hooker Valley Track

Finally reached the end point of Hooker Valley Track!

The white patch of snow on the mountain is Hooker Glacier
Walking back...
The Hooker Valley Track is quite an easy walk with superb views surrounding, if not for the weather. It's no doubt that this is one of the most popular walk in Mount Cook region. Even though at the end point, I'm a bit disappointed with the dirty icebergs on the glacier lake, I would still highly recommend this walk as the views are really great and I love the feeling of walking in the mountains! Choose a day with good weather and you will be able to enjoy the mountains and scenery with leisure. Click to check out the weather conditions for Hooker Valley Track beforehand!

After another night stay at Lake Tekapo, we said bye bye to Lake Tekapo and proceeded to Queenstown, Te Anau, Milford Sound! Stay tune for Part 3!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Salon I Keep Returning to: Studio M KSL Hair Salon @ KSL City Mall

It's been a while since I crossed the straits to pamper myself at JB. Whenever I'm in JB and want to change my hairstyle or give my hair some well deserved treatment, Studio M is always the first salon that comes to my mind. I have visited Studio M @ KSL City Mall (previously known as Govin Hair) many times as I love the great service and friendly staff there. Price wise, it's definitely super value as you are getting top notch service and best quality products such as Mucota or Oway on your precious hair. As a person who always want good deals, I have researched before and hey, there's no way I can find that kind of price for treatments, perm, rebond or hair color using top quality products such as Mucota or Oway in Singapore! Look at my lifeless hair with the uneven hair color. It's time to go Studio M hair salon to pamper my hair and give it a new look! Studio M is located at ground floor of KSL City Mall, beside Sasa. My hair stylist was Ben.

Mucota Omega Rebonding at Focus Hairdressing

I initially wanted to try out volume rebonding at some Korean hair salon in Singapore but the price was really expensive, around $350 for my hair length and I was told that the effect was just like soft rebonding, except that it gives the hair more volume. For my hair length, the hairstylist usually will recommend me to perm the ends to have the romantic Korean feel. But I know I will be lazy to maintain the curls. So I dropped the idea.  I saw many good reviews online for mucota rebonding at Focus Hairdressing. It's located at Cuppage Plaza Level 1 which is just  5 mins walk from Somerset MRT. I have previously tried mucota hair treatment at Creme Hairdressing  (Chinatown Point outlet) and I really love the treatment effect. You can read about my mucota treatment experience at Creme Hairdressing . So i decided to try out Mucota rebonding. I originally planned to take the mucota dyna hair rebonding since it is the cheapest kind of mucota rebonding that Focus offers, it's

My Favourite Salon: Studio M Hair Salon @ KSL City Mall

Do you have the same problem as me? Want to dye, perm, rebond or do treatment for your hair but after looking at the price of the established hair salon in Singapore you just wanna shake head and walk away from the salon. Lucky for me, I found a good, cheaper hair salon with excellent service and experience just across the Straits! At KSL City Mall at JB! Govin has changed it's name to Studio M, located at the same location. Ground floor of KSL City Mall. I had gone thrice and I was very happy with my every experience there! My first and third time there was for hair and scalp treatment and they were really good! The scalp massage was so comfortable, I literally could fell asleep while they worked on my hair! The most special experience was during the wait at the hair wash area. They provided aroma therapy there by dripping some lavender essential oil into the hot water and I nearly slept. My second time there was to colour and cut my hair. Oh my! Their hair colour has